Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Two Important Rules

Rules I made for myself. Rules I often ignore. Yet, when I follow these rules, life just works better around here.
Rule No. 1: Stay home on Mondays. I made this rule about 10 years ago and when I abide by it, my whole week just goes better. Saturday's a work/prep for Sabbath day; Sunday's the Sabbath. A quiet Monday at home allows us to catch up without feeling pressured. It takes some discipline and learning to say, "no," but I will have margin in my week!

Rule No. 2: Rest for 30 min each afternoon. Yeah, right! I have 5 kids and I homeschool! Despite that, if I carve out time to relax and refuel in the afternoon, I am a much nicer person in the evening. Without it, I'm a zombie by dinner and too exhausted to enjoy the sweetest time of the day - when the whole family is together. Even working furiously all day, I still don't get everything accomplished, so why not take a short break that will benefit everyone?

What makes your life tick?

5 comments:

mom24 said...

Working on Sunday always ruins the week for me. And my getting to bed late is the worst for everyone in the family! Yes - we need to stick to our 'rules' for the sake of our family and to be able to glorify God nin our work!
Andrea

jennifer h said...

The Monday at home rule sounds like a good one. I need to be more disciplined about several things, and this sounds like a good discipline to incorporate into my plan.

Melissa Lester said...

Starting the day with prayer, exercise and Bible study helps me feel balanced during the day. When I allow circumstances to interrupt this schedule for too long, my days become much more difficult.

Wendy said...

I try to do that on Mondays too. Mondays is my laundry/cleaning day.

I'm trying to be better at meal planning right now - making a menu and shopping by what I need for it. Sounds easy when I write it down like that, but I've been inconsistent w/it.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Great rules, especially for a homeschooling mom. I might adopt the home on Mondays next year for sure.

Right now we have our 1 hour rest time. I have to stick to the reading the bible during that time or else it doesn't happen so easily!

I think rules help to keep everyone sane and allow things to go smooth!

We gaurd natimes for little ones around here like vigilanties too ;)