100th Post - For My Mom

O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me,until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. --Psalm 71:17-18

Our denomination's 2006 Women's Conference adopted this verse as its theme, along with the slogan "Generation to Generation." I had the privilege of attending that conference with my Mother and little K, who was a nursing babe. We were a living example of that verse. I want to dedicate my 100th (sort of) post to my Mother and the spiritual legacy she has given me and is giving my children.

You see, Mom didn't grow up in a Christian home. Yes, she lived in the Bible belt and attended Sunday school as a child. Yes, her parents loved their children dearly. But her home was not a haven of God's grace; rather it was an unstable home where alcoholism and anger tainted even the happy times.

But the Lord had a beautiful plan for my Mom. She married my Dad while they were both in college - both still unbelievers. They bought a home and had three children. When the Lord's appointed time came, He shone the light of His Grace on their hearts and Mom and Dad both became Christians within six months of each other. I was eight years old.
Since that time they have endeavored to raise their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. They regularly took us to corporate worship, taught us God's Word, and helped us each grow in our faith as we became believers too. My Mom not only shared her faith with us, she shared herself, her time, her energy - she made our house a home and made our childhood fun. She set an example for me of how to be a good mother.
The coolest thing is that now my Mom is doing all that with the next generation. She now has 10 (almost 11) grandchildren who have an incredible blessing: a heritage of faith.
So, thank you, Lord, for the blessing that is my Mom! And thanks, Mom, for all your hard work raising four kids and for cherishing all your grandkids. I love you!

Comments

Phil said…
Congratulations on 100. I couldn't think of a better subject than Mimi and what a great testimony God has used in all of our lives. He is truly in control!
Wendy said…
It's always so neat to hear how God works in the lives of others. What a great picture and it sounds like a wonderful grandma.

happy 100.
Melissa Lester said…
Your mom is an incredible lady! I see her creativity expressed in Jennifer's home each time I visit and hear stories of her generosity and kindness.
Anna said…
What a beautiful sentiment, we all should thank our mother's more often!
Andrea said…
Very nice! Isn't it amazing how God works things to good and blesses us so!
Congratulations on 100!
Andrea
Mary@notbefore7 said…
Oh, what a beautiful tribute to your mother. What a blessing to have her continuing to pass down her faith to your children as well. It is so cool to hear how God's perfect timing worked in your parent's lives.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool Giveaway!

Dinner on a Thursday

The Story of Us