2008-2009 Curriculum Plan, part 1

For those who are interested, I'm going to post my curriculum plans in several stages, to make it easier on both the writer and the reader. If you are not interested in curriculum in the least, I won't be offended if you skip this post altogether!

I'm still ironing out much of this and expect a few things will change (other than math & science) through the year. Budget has been a big issue in planning this year, so I'm hoping to add some things second semester that I just couldn't afford right now.

First up, Big Brother, S (almost 14):

8th Grade

Bible - finishing Old Testament Survey from Logos School Materials

Catechism - memorizing Shorter Catechism

Spelling - Apples 2

Grammar - S is still finishing some random lessons we missed in A Beka's Grammar and Comp. I from 7th grade. He's doing this because 1. I want him to focus more on writing than grammar this semester; and 2. I'm still thinking about/saving $$ for grammar for him. I'm considering A Beka G & C II and also Mother Tongue.

Writing - Writing Strands, Write Source 2000, and Imitation in Writing Poetry Primer
These are resources we're using, but I'm really making it up as I go along. He's a reluctant writer and I'm focusing on improving his work ethic along with his writing skills. :)
I've just this week heard about a writing program from Peace Hill Press (thanks, Kate!) and I'm VERY interested in that. The middle grades book is not out until next year, but I may explore the Year Four exercises in the first book for some fine-tuning...we'll see.

Vocabulary - Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Literature - various, incl. Fellowship of the Ring, The Once and Future King by T.H.White (or another version of King Arthur), and Beowulf.

Math - Saxon Algebra I

History - Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation - Veritas Press History Cards, Story of the World vol. 2, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and lots of library books; narrations; essays; outlines.

Government - Electoral Process - outside class based on a Konos unit. Great class discussions, research project on a President, and participation in national mock election

Science - Apologia Physical Science - * I purchased daily lesson plans for this from Rainbow Resource. We don't do science every single day, but the plans help know how much of each module to do per lesson.

Nature Study - various books, field guides, internet and lots and lots and lots of observation and journaling.

Latin & Logic - I own Prima Latina, but have never used it. Even though it's way below his level, I'm hoping to work through it with all 3 kids. Something is better than nothing! For Logic, I hope to use various things like the Ridgewood Analogies and Fallacy Detective until I can afford a formal logic text. (When I do, I'm seriously considering Introductory Logic.)

Art - Picture studies for Middle Ages artists; using books from library to fine-tuning drawing and sketching skills

Music - composer study; beginning piano with Mom; beginning group guitar class

Comments

Mary@notbefore7 said…
Consider me one of the interested parties...always ;)
I applaud your focus on writing. When I was in 8th grade, I hated to write, but my Mom and my teachers did not let me off the hook. My ability to express myself in writing turned into my single greatest career skill.
Mary@notbefore7 said…
Now...I know you are only doing 30 mins a day and I love you for it. So when you continue this...maybe next up could be the closest you have to a kindergartener ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool Giveaway!

Dinner on a Thursday

The Story of Us