Musical Diplomacy?

Who knew that driving home from Bible study last night would be an historic event? Enjoying a rare bit of solitude, I turned on NPR and was transported by the passionate horns in the last movement of Dvorak's "New World Symphony" - as I listened, I was thinking about how it would make a good soundtrack for an old-fashioned Western...

Turns out I was hearing a replay of Tuesday's landmark concert by the New York Philharmonic - in Pyongyang, North Korea! Invited by the North Koreans, the orchestra helped put aside the stalemate over nukes for one night of beautiful music masterfully performed.

It ended with a lively Gershwin piece. I found a bit of humor in it:
The New York Philharmonic was playing "An American in Paris" in Pyongyang.
Truly, the language of music is universal.

Comments

Andrea said…
How neat that is! Music is one of my favorite creations!
Andrea
Mary@notbefore7 said…
Wow - what a great listen to catch.
I happened to catch the end of that concert on PBS, particularly American in Paris, and had very similar thoughts. I am sure some of the symphony members felt much like Gershwin on his trip that inspired the song.
jennifer h said…
I heard clips from the concert and a summary of the event on NPR, too. I think it's a great way to make inroads with a culture that is antagonistic to Americans. I hope there are more efforts like this one.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool Giveaway!

Dinner on a Thursday

Tiny Talk Tuesday