Chapter 297, In Which We Enjoy God's Creation and Work on Relationship and a Good Sweat

Well, I recently said that I would like to build up my weekly mileage base and work on increasing my speed. But in the weeks since school let out, I've noticed that some of my kiddo's emotional tanks are running a wee bit low. So for now, I'm putting aside building mileage and instead I'm building relationships. I've been taking one child with me on my weekday runs, and have enjoyed the rare one-on-one time.

This week is VBS week at our church, and my exercise routine is limited to marching like penguins with 4-year-olds while reciting memory verses. But here is how the new plan went last week:

Monday - said 'Godspeed' to my sister and her family after a great weekend visit. Started reading Heidi with 12yo M. My heart has been burdened to find a way to build her up and enjoy her company. She looks up to me so much - even has her own matching
pair of Nike Tempos. She was the inspiration for the new Mom Time Running Plan.

Tuesday - 1.5 HOT miles with M at the park. About half & half running/walking. Nice mother-daughter chat at Smoothie King afterward.

Wednesday - 1.5 miles with A (6) at a different park. We didn't run as far, but when we ran we went all out! That boy holds nothing back. Chatted the whole time, too. I was very thankful for time to answer his questions on every topic under the sun and join in his sense of wonder. We visited the creek and surprised 2 water moccasins - and they surprised us! No real danger, but just enough of a thrill to make for a good tale.

Later Wednesday - My time with A was fun, but I was itching for a bigger run. So I hit the Greenway for another 3 miles. I was surprised at how deserted it was -- I guess there aren't many crazies willing to run in
the humid 93+ degrees at 3pm! The solitude was nice, however - left my ipod in the car and enjoyed nature's playlist instead.

Thursday - pool day with some friends, so no running. Just lots of splashing, laughing, and good fellowship.

Friday - another hot 1.5 miles. This time with KL (5.) Took the jog stroller just in case. Walked a little, rode a little, ran a little- and so on. Isn't she a cutie?

Saturday - 2.5 miles at the park -my "long run" turned out to be much shorter than I had plann
ed. I just didn't have it in me. Maybe the late night before. Maybe the heat -even at 9am it was getting hot, especially doing hills in the sun.

With my disappointing Saturday run, I was surprised that my weekly total made it to 10 miles! That's my mini-goal for now: consistently hit 10mi/week for a while, then try to build up to 15 by the end of the summer.

(My feet were extra happy on these runs, because I used some more of my gift card to get a cute new pair of NB 860s. I feel so much lighter on my feet - hadn't realized how heavy the old ones had gotten!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool Giveaway!

Dinner on a Thursday

The Story of Us