Today's Mercies

I am using John Piper's fantastic book A Godward Life as a devotional with my older children. The portion we read today was very fitting for our family as we adjust to the stress of a new school schedule, but I suspect we all can identify in one way or another, so I share the first part here.

(Meditation on Matthew 6:34 "Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

Piper says:

Part of saving faith is the assurance that you will have faith tomorrow. Trusting Christ today includes trusting him to give you tomorrow's trust when tomorrow comes. Often we feel today like our reservoir of strength is not going to last for another day. The fact is, it won't. Today's resources are for today, and part of those resources is the confidence that new resources will be given tomorrow.

A Godward Life, (Multnomah Books, 1997) p.25

Comments

Wendy said…
Thanks for sharing what you are learning and doing w/your kids. You are such an encouragement to me, as I continue how to best teach my kids.
Mary Bernard said…
Ooooo... isn't that the truth?

Reminds me that God's mercies are "new every morning"! Praise God for his faithfulness.

Love Piper!
Kate said…
OK, so I was just at Jane's blog (Corre, Corre) and she linked to Piper (from last months blog) - and desperately need to do this:

"Pause and examine your life this autumn. Examine what is missing that should be there. What is there that should be removed? What new dreams for ministry might you venture? What new habits do you want to build into your Fall schedule?"

Now, I want that book you have!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool Giveaway!

Dinner on a Thursday

Design Inspiration