Monday, October 22, 2007

Book Review Time!

As you may (or may not) have noticed, I have a couple of books in my "What I'm Reading" list that have been there quite a while! It's not because I'm not reading, but because I keep getting pulled away from those particular books to read something else - usually for school. I've put Sense and Sensibility aside to catch up to my Sweetie in the Mitford series. (I read the first 5 years ago; he's listening to the audio version and is on book 7!)

I recently finished reading the 6th book, A Common Life. I was somewhat reluctant to get into it, since the story doesn't pick up where book 5 leaves off, but rather goes back to tell the story of Father Tim and Cynthia's wedding. Once I began, however, I couldn't put the book down. When I finished the last chapter, my soul sighed and said, "Ahhhhh."


Jan Karon masterfully weaves great storytelling with spiritual truth. I laughed and I cried. After reading this lovely, short novel, I wanted to love my husband more; I wanted to love my God more. Enjoyable, easy to read, profound.


Don't worry if you haven't read any of the Mitford books before - A Common Life can stand on its own. Ms. Karon works in enough information about the characters and the setting that you never feel lost. I encourage you to find a copy at your library and read it. It will bless your soul!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I'll have to look for this book.

Mike said...

Jen,
I realized that I never read this one. Maybe I can squeeze it in before the new book is released next week. Love you.

Kate said...

Cool. I never heard of this series. It sounds great. We are headed to the library this week so I'll have to see if ours has it. Great review!

The Small Scribbler said...

What I want to know is what you think of Leepike Ridge. I saw that under your What I'm reading list and I wondered if my kids would like it.

Not quite on topic but kind of.

Kate

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

We love Leepike Ridge! It has just taken a backseat to history read-alouds. We hope to get back to it soon and finish.

Be Inspired Always said...

Great review :)


Jillian

jennifer h said...

Jennifer,

I read the Mitford books a way back. I might have to re-read all of them now that the weather is getting cold, and I might have more time for reading.

Re: Leepike Ridge - I haven't bought it yet, but I have several friends with boys who have raved about it.